- Mew Gull (apparent 3rd cycle type). San Francisco County, CA. 01 July 2015. Continuing from late May.
- Little Gull (1st summer). Dane County, WI. 01 July 2015. Continuing.
- Little Gull (1st summer). King County, CA. 01 July 2015. Continuing.
- Glaucous Gull (2nd summer). Manitowoc County, WI. 06 July 2015. Continuing.
- Chandeleur Gulls (Kelp x Herring hybrids, 20+). St. Bernard County, LA. 08 July 2015.
- By far the most exciting news in the ABA area this month. A small team of surveyors from LSU found multiple adult and sub-adult putative hybrids on Chandeleur Island on 08 July, and then again on 10 July 2015. Per Dan O'Malley, 3 nests were found (one empty, one with two eggs, and one with one chick being protected by adult-type hybrids). Hybrids from this island have not been reported post-Hurricane Katrina. More on the history of this hybridization event can be found here. Access to the island is restricted.
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (2nd summer). Sedgwick County, CO. 12 July 2015.
- Glaucous Gull (1st summer). Ottawa County, MI. 15 July 2015.
- Black-legged Kittiwakes (24 - 1st summer). Barnstable County, MA. 18 July 2015.
- Unprecedented summering numbers in and around Provincetown.
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (90 - High Count). Barnstable County, MA. 19 July 2015.
- Unprecedented count this far north. As predicted, this species is exploding along the Atlantic coast, not only in the winter season, but now in the breeding season as well. 2/3 of the birds seen on 19 July were first cycles, followed by 2nd cycles. No adults recorded.
- Iceland Gull (1st summer). Barnstable County, MA. 19 July 2015.
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (apparent adult). Keith County, NE. 19 July 2015.
- Great Black-backed Gull (1st summer). Mobile County, AL. 21 July 2015. Continuing.
- Laughing Gull (Fresh Juvenile). Manitowoc County, WI. 23 July 2015.
- Intriguing. Found exactly where two adult Laughing Gulls were previously sited earlier in the season. The adults appeared to be paired up, exhibiting courtship displays and calling together in late May and early June. They then disappeared together and were not sited thereafter.
- Laughing Gull (adult type). Douglas County, KS. 25 July 20015.
- Black-headed Gull (adult). Barnstable County, MA. 27 July 2015.
- Sabine's Gulls (High Count - 1,870). Monterey County, CA. 28 July 2015.
- Extraordinary. Mostly alternate adults observed from land at Pt. Pinos Seawatch.
01 August 2015
Monthly Notables July 2015
July 2015 Notables